Teach students to be safe with magnets!
Magnets are fun to work with, but students should also be aware that they can be dangerous.
- Small magnets, if ingested, can be fatal.
- Iron filings can be harmful to the eyes, and students should be told not to blow on them. Safety goggles are a good idea. It is also wise to cover lab sinks, as iron filings will clog them.
- Magnets are made of inherently brittle materials and may break when dropped.
- Strong magnets may render credit cards and other magnetic devices, including computers, useless.
- Store horseshoe magnets with a metal "keeper bar" across the poles to preserve their magnetism. Store bar magnets with opposite poles aligned.